Coming September 1, 2018!
Wherever You Are: A Memoir of Love, Marriage, and Brain Injury, by Cynthia Lim
Cynthia Lim thought she had the perfect life: a husband who was a successful attorney, a fulfilling career in education, two teenage sons in private school, and a home in Los Angeles rich in books, music, and art. Then in 2003, her husband Perry suffers a cardiac arrest and brain injury, lingering in a coma for ten days before slowly awakening. A different person emerges, one who has lost his short-term memory and is fully dependent on others. Married for twenty years, she doesn’t know how much of his former self will return as she fights for the treatment and care he needs.
She struggles with caregiving and working full-time while finding connection with the man she once knew and loved, whose brain will never again function as it did before. While wrestling with the urge to leave him in an institution and walk away, she discovers the strength and resolve that will allow her to build a new life. Wherever You Are is the story of a marriage after a spouse is forever changed by a catastrophic event. It is a story of redefining life with disability and discovering the real truth of love and marriage.
- “Yes or No,” The Legendary, August 20, 2011, Issue 30.
- “A Life Worth Living,” in Hawai’i Pacific Review, Volume 26, September 2012.
- “Rezo para Obtener Favores (I Pray for Blessings),” Rougarou: an Online Literary Journal, Fall 2012, Volume 8, Issue 2.
- “The Gum Chewing Notary,” Kaleidoscope: Exploring the Experience of Disability Through Literature and the Fine Arts, Winter/Spring 2013, Number 66.
- “My Absolution,” Gemini Magazine, June 2013.
- “Night Terrors,” Hobart, September 12, 2013.
- “A World of Pain,” Forge Journal, October 2, 2013, Volume 7.1.
- “Flytime,” Wild Violet Literary Magazine, October 21, 2013.
- “After the Plane Crash,” Witness Magazine, November 2016.